The Healthy Hack

Leftovers are normal in any household. A mother might overestimate the guest arriving or you just ditch family dinner for some fast food. Or you just ask your mom to save some for you because it’s your favorite dish. Some leftovers can be turned in to a hellish dish if you re-cook it and some are best not to reheat on your stove or even the microwave. Here are 7 foods you need to avoid reheating for your safety:

Potatoes

cooked potatoes can’t be stored at room temperature area since it bacteria grows rapidly and it causes food poisoning. The best solution is to place the potatoes in the refrigerator and just take it out if you want to east some more.

Onion, Celery and Beet

Onions, celery, and beets are common ingredients in making a soup. These vegetables contain nitrate that when reheated many times can release harmful toxins and even carcinogenic which are known cancer causing agents.

Mushrooms

This one vegetable can be harmful if not eaten and stored properly. You cannot store mushroom in room temperature area because it releases toxins and if you keep on reheating it the mushroom can be dangerous and poison your family.

Rice

Unbelievable but it’s true, reheating rice can make you sick. You also should not store it in a room temperature because bacteria can form and it can spoil the rice. The best way to avoid it to store the rice in an air-tight container and put it in the refrigerator.

Oils

A recent study shows that a toxin called 4-hydroxy-trans-2 (HNE) can form when oil is reheated. Using oil that has been used already can release trans fats which are harmful to the body. You can always use new oil when frying food to be on the safe side.

Eggs

Reheating egg sounds really awful since this food is easy to cook. Reheating it can cause digestive tract because of over high protein that the egg contains.

Chicken

Chicken and other poultry have a certain amount of salmonella contamination. When you reheat the chicken using a microwave the heat is not distributed equally. It means some part is heated more than the other part.  When heating a chicken the protein can break down differently and can cause an upset stomach.