The Healthy Hack

Take a look around your home and notice how many appliances require a water source. Your washing machine, dryer, water purifier and ice tray all require water to function properly. But when there’s a water source, there’s also a chance of a leak. Water leaks don’t just waste water, they lead to a more sinister household danger. Dark, damp spots are a haven for harmful mold. Mold growing in your home can infect the air around you and even make it into the water you drink. This contamination often results in serious diseases, some of which you might not have even known was due to mold.

How Does Household Mold Occur?

Mold is a type of fungus that is found everywhere, all the time. But if there’s one type of place that mold prefers above all else, it’s cool, damp spaces, away from sunlight. In areas like these, mold grows and multiplies exponentially. What started out as a few spores can become millions in a matter of days. But mold isn’t just confined to the spots where it first started growing. Mold spores are airborne and disperse through the air, landing on whichever spot they like. Once these new spores find a new place to call home, they begin to start growing and multiplying in that area.

This is why household mold is so dangerous. Once mold begins to grow in a certain spot indoors, it’s only a matter of time until it spreads all over your home. Of course, this could be nipped in the bud if you kept disinfecting your water-sourced appliances, but we rarely ever do that.

How Does Household Mold Affect Our Health?

Household mold is more than just unsightly and gross, it’s also very harmful. If you’ve been falling sick very often without a reason, the answer could be that you’re coming into contact with the mold. Mold enters our body in two ways: either we breathe in the spores or we ingest it when we drink water or eat food that has already been contaminated by it. The most common symptoms of mold infection are headaches, nausea, fatigue and a persistent fever. However, less commonly associated health problems might also be a symptom of mold.

Recent studies have found that frequent exposure to household mold can lead to brain fog, night sweats, excessive thirst, frequent urination and muscle cramps. If you’re suffering from inexplicable conditions and you haven’t cleaned out your appliances in a long time (or ever), you might want to get your home tested for mold.

How To Prevent Mold From Infesting Your Home

Since mold infestation occurs because of leaky appliances, the best thing you can do to prevent it is to plug the leak. Get your plumbing routinely checked to make sure everything is working perfectly. You will also need to get your washing machine, dryer and water purifier routinely serviced to make sure there’s no nasty stuff growing on the inside. If you believe your house might already be infected with mold, get a complete assessment done to confirm your suspicions. Your pest control agent might suggest certain sprays to kill all the spores and prevent new ones from forming.