Things that cause eyes to be puffy include tears, genes, hormonal changes, common colds, hangover, unhealthy diet, allergies, the weather, stress, anxiety, dehydration, vices and an insufficient amount of sleep.
As a result, puffy eyes cause dark circles, loose skin, saggy skin and swollen skin. To try and hide or get rid of them without using products that may actually be harmful to the skin, there is one natural remedy to the rescue. A potato!
Potato contains an enzyme that diminishes the confinement of water under the eyes. In addition, potato releases a biting chemical that has the ability to stretch the skin. It also has starch which decreases the pain and swelling around it. Overall, there are lots of nutrients and antioxidants that potatoes possess that are essential to keeping skin smooth and, well, lessening eye puffiness.
Here are 3 alternative ways on how to use potatoes to reduce eye puffiness:
Method 1 – Potato Slices
Step 1: Cut a fairly cold potato into slices that are about 1/3 inch thick OR wrap a grated one in a clean cloth OR wet a cotton pad with its freshly extracted juice. (Tip: Put the potato in cool water, if the fridge is not an option.)
Step 2: Position yourself relaxed, preferably lying down, and close your eyes before placing the potato on each eye.
Step 3: Remove the potato 10 – 20 minutes later.
Step 4: Rinse area around the eyes and dry with a clean towel.
Step 5: Repeat the process twice or thrice every day.
Method 2 – Potato and Cucumber
Step 1: Extract the juice from 1 small potato and ½ cucumbers, then measure out an equal amount of both juices before stirring them together.
Step 2: Apply the juice mixture to the eyelids using cotton balls or cotton pads.
Step 3: Let the juice dry right there before removing the cotton and wiping the eye area.
Step 4: Keep on doing it around 2 – 3 times a day or until the puffiness is gone.
Method 3 – Potato Peel
Step 1: Peel a potato OR save up the fresh potato peels from earlier that day.
Step 2: Rub the inside of the peel around the eye area as gently as possible before laying it still on your eyelids.
Step 3: Stay as is for 10 – 15 minutes, and then throw out the potato peels that you used.
Step 4: Repeat the steps and do it every other day to get rid of puffy eyes.
8 Things to Keep in Mind
- Use sweet potatoes as an alternative to regular potatoes.
- Rinse immediately and thoroughly if eyes react badly.
- Have a healthy lifestyle to make the process faster and the methods more effective.
- Drink plenty of water and eat foods that are good for you; say no to artificial flavorings; and, reduce consumption of salt.
- Moisturize and clean the eye area regularly.
- Never forget to remove your makeup or any product that has harmful chemical before sleeping.
- Wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen to avoid sunlight exposure.
- If your puffy eyes are worrying you, do not hesitate to visit a doctor and have a checkup.